Monday, 7 March 2011

Progress Report

Editing with Adobe Premier

So far I have started editing the film trailer on Adobe Premier. As I have not used an editing programme properly before I have required a little bit of help to briefly tell me about how it works as last year another member of my media group was set the role of editor so I have little experience. As well, we edited on Windows Media Player last year and only used Premier to add titles in. I have enjoyed the editing I have done although I have struggled a little bit as the other member of my group has been away so I have had the full responsibility of editing. At this moment in time, I have put all of the scenes in order and done a rough cut of the trailer although pieces do not appear to fit together properly so I will add in a few more effects, such as fade-ins and outs to make it look more effective.

Music is also an important part of a film trailer to really add to the mis-en-scene of it so I will need to choose a powerful piece of music to represent the genre and theme of our film. I want to have quite a calm and quiet type of music at the start of the trailer, then with a strong piece of music to highlight Erin's change and transition from a quiet and secluded girl at the start of the trailer to an out-of-control, rebellious and violent youth towards the end. I aim to find a good piece of contemporary music, possibly dubstep or drum n bass as they are popular genres among adolescents today, to put as the soundtrack to the trailer to kick in at the point where Erin stands over the male victim on the floor and smiles. I think this would be an effective place to start up a bold and faster-paced piece of music to build up towards the climax of the trailer. Credits will also need to be put into the trailer, but so far in the storyboards we have only drawn in where we will fit in the film's name 'Raze' but other information could possibly be added to give a professional effect. A tag line or slogan for the film could be added in, as well as the names of me and the other member of my group Mia and possibly the names of the actors in our trailer. Therefore I will plan out a few more credits we could add into our media piece, towards the end which is where credits usually appear judging by the research we have done on existing film trailers.

It is important that we still do follow these forms and conventions of real media products that we looked at in the planning stage to give an authentic final piece. When the film trailer is nearly finished, it would also be extremely useful to get more audience feedback on what they they o the trailer. During the planning process we did some feedback within our lesson when we created ideas presentations to show the group which was useful when planning the scripts and storyboards as well as character profiles and complete film storyline. Getting more of the opinions of our intended target audience would be a helpful process as it would highlight and problems we have made or let us know if we could make any improvements to make our trailer more effective and overall successful. I will ask people from our target audience age group what they think of the trailer when it is nearly completely edited, but I am not ready to do this as yet as there is still more editing to be done on the trailer to have it completed by the Easter holidays.

Conforming to Genre & Representations

So far, I feel that our trailer is conforming to our thriller/social realist genre well. We have used realistic locations and dress codes to give the shots a really authentic look. The scenes we have shot in the subway are especially visually representative of our film genre, with the chipped paint, graffiti-ed walls and dirty look really contributing to the gritty and raw effect that we hoped for, adding to the mis-en-scene of our trailer.
The way we have represented our characters is important when conforming to a genre and as we are trying to express and explanation as to why Erin turns from being a quiet and shy girl to an 'off-the-rails', antisocial and violent 'hoodie' it is important to do this in a realistic and believable way. It is important not to portray Erin to be an antagonist as well as the protagonist as we aim for the audience to find her story sad and haunting and feel empathy for her character despite the things that she does throughout the trailer.

Erin's dress code is important when portraying this change as visually she looks different when she changes, with her hood up for the rest of the trailer and her short hair being revealed during the final shot of the trailer. The dress codes of the gang of youths is a mixture of school uniform and their own clothes - these being hoodies, caps and trainers. These dress codes are key when visually representing the stereotype of 'hoodies and chavs' as they typically wear these types of clothing. The representations of youths in the whole trailer is fairly negative, but the general storyline is acting as an explanation for why some youths are antisocial and violent, but not an excuse for the disrespectful and aggressive behaviour of some youths today. It is a sensitive matter that we want to address as we feel that a realistic representation has not yet been featured in films before, as thrillers like 'Eden Lake' and 'Harry Brown' are more extreme and dramatized versions of reality, representing youths extremely negatively. The use of fairly dim lighting towards the end of the trailer, as the last scenes are shot at night or in artificial subway lighting, boldly strengthens the theme of our film, representing it to be a fairly dark and haunting thriller with a difference - telling the realistic story of an emotionally-lost teenage girl. The lighting acts as a type of pathetic fallacy, representing the emotions and feelings that are being portrayed in the shot. By creating this storyline for the film, we have already challenged the genre - as thrillers commonly use male, adult protagonists - rather than conform to it. In that way i think we have created something quite different and original with a unique story. In other ways we have still followed the codes and conventions of the thriller genre as we want our trailer to be very authentic and for our final piece to conform appropriately and effectively to the genre.

Film Poster & Magazine Cover

As well as completing the editing process, which will still take a little more time as we are having a some trouble getting frequent use of the editing suites as they're access is limited, the other ancillary texts need to be planned and produced. In order to create the film poster and magazine cover to go along with our trailer, I will need to start sketching ideas and taking photographs or screen-shots from our trailer to use as the main image of these media products. In my blog I have previously research and analysed existing film magazine covers and posters to highlight effective techniques and common conventions of these texts. This will be useful when planning and creating our own and i will be careful to follow and develop the codes and conventions of these products. I would perhaps like to use a screen-shot from our trailer of Erin crouched in the subway at night as the main image for the poster and magazine cover as I think it is a really strong shot according to composition, mood and effect as it really represents the isolation, loneliness and anger that Erin feels as she is pictured sat alone at night, highlighting her vulnerability. There is also a large space to the left of the shot where text could be written, including the film name and the names of the actors and Director/Producer and possibly a slogan or tag line and reviews. Luckily, at the beginning of the year I did a full project on film posters in my Graphic Design class which lead to use creating our own film poster for an existing film as a final piece. I really enjoyed this project and I was very pleased with my final product which was a film poster for 'This is England' so this will be extremely useful when designing and producing an original film poster.

Producing a film magazine cover may be a little more challenging that creating a poster as I have less experience creating such a product. However, from studying Graphic Design for A Levels I am quite confident using Adobe Photo shop which will be a key programme to use when creating both of these texts. Furthermore, my working partner Mia studies Photography and can probably use picture editing programmes better than me so I'm sure she will feel confident when producing these two alternative products.

Overall Progress

To conclude, I am pleased with the progress that has been made so far and there is still quite a lot of time left before the film trailer need to be completed. I will complete more editing sessions and choose music and possibly sound effects to use in the trailer (e.g. smashing of bottles and police car sirens). I will now start planning out ideas and producing sketches for the film poster and magazine cover and choose which particular film magazine I want to create a cover for. All together, everything has gone well so far and I am really enjoying the editing process as it is really helping me develop my own editing skills which will be helpful for the future. However, I have full responsibility of the coursework at this moment in time as the other group member is absent at the moment. I will try and contact her to make some more decisions on the coursework as i do not want to make any big decisions without discussing them with her as it is her work too.

No comments:

Post a Comment